High School Diploma Programs
There are two ways you can earn your High School diploma at Meriden Adult Education. Students may enter either program if they are officially withdrawn from school. No diploma can be awarded before the student’s regular high school class graduation date. Talk to a guidance counselor to see which way is best for you.
General Education Diploma (GED®) Preparation
- Applications for the GED® exam are available at the College and Career Readiness Center, 191 Pratt Street Monday through Friday mornings from 8 am – 2 pm and evenings from 5:30 pm – 8:30 pm, Monday through Thursday.
- You must apply in person with a photo ID. There is a $13.00 application fee (cashier’s check or money order only) for persons 21 years and older (veterans and individuals under 21 are exempt). Proof of age and Connecticut residency must be presented.
- All applicants are urged to take the Official GED® Practice Examination to discover any areas where they may benefit from free GED® Preparation classes.
- Spanish GED® Preparation is available in the evenings. Call 203-237-0602 for more information.
- GED® Preparation classes are available in writing, literature, mathematics, social studies and science. Call 203-237-0602 for schedule and locations.
- Accommodations for the GED® Test are available for qualified individuals with a disability. For more information, contact the Guidance Counselor at 203-237-0602.
High School Credit Diploma
- Graduates of this program earn a Meriden Board of Education diploma.
- Free classes are available to adults, age 17 and older, who are officially withdrawn from school.
- All classes meet Monday through Thursday, 4 pm – 8:30 pm at Platt High School, 220 Coe Avenue. In addition, limited space is available for classes at the College and Career Readiness Center, 191 Pratt Street with classes daily Monday through Friday 8 am - 3:45 pm. For information call 203-237-0602.
- Twenty credits are needed for graduation. Students may transfer credits from any accredited public, private or parochial school. Credit for formal, documented training from the military or industry is available.
- Career, educational and personal counseling services are available.
- Registration and testing for classes must be completed before classes begin. Call 203-238-2887 for an appointment.